A Darkness More Than Night (Harry Bosch, #7; Terry McCaleb, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #9)
by Michael Connelly (Goodreads Author)
I didn’t plan on reading two of Michael Connelly’s Harry Bosch books back to back, but it was the next available title in the pile. I was surprised by this one and it took me a few chapters to realize it was another crossover book with one of the author’s other protagonists, Terry McCaleb, the FBI profiler. He was portrayed by Clint Eastwood in Bloodwork.
The story is mostly about McCaleb, who comes out of retirement to help police profile and track a new serial killer. Bosch appears later in the story, involved in a murder trial of his own where he says the killer confessed to him.
McCaleb and Bosch had worked together on a case in the past. Without giving away the story I can say their paths cross again in an unexpected way where one of them becomes subject of an investigation. There are a couple nice twists to keep you flipping pages.
My only disappointment was in how the ending left the two main characters, but in considering their individual personalities it was only fitting.
The Crossing (Harry Bosch, #18; Mickey Haller, #6; Harry Bosch Universe, #27)
by Michael Connelly (Goodreads Author)
I have to say Michael Connelly and Harry Bosch are two of my favorite men, the author and one of his characters. In “The Crossing” Connnelly writes a crossover novel with one of his other characters, The Lincoln Lawyer, bringing the two series’ together in one great story.
Connelly is a master at building up the momentum to the point where you’re flipping pages faster than burgers at McDonald’s.
The Crossing is about the newly retired Bosch helping his half brother, lawyer Mickey Haller, get a suspected murderer out of jail. It is crossing the line for Bosch, who spent his career putting killers in jail.
Suspect (Scott James & Maggie, #1)
by Robert Crais
Who wants to read an engaging thriller where the protagonist isn’t a super hero with special powers? I do – it’s the kind of novel I write. On second thought, his K-9 partner does have certain powers that help the story along. This book, and its author, Robert Crais, were a pleasant surprise.
The “hook” grabs you right by the heart-strings and has you rooting for the good guys immediately. The story is about an ex-military dog and a LAPD cop who were both injured on the job, suffer from PTSD, and are partnered together. This is a real life drama at its best.
If you’re an animal lover you’re going to love this book. Without spoiling the plot there are times when you’ll be cringing before turning the page or finding yourself getting watery eyes…or maybe it was just because I was tired after reading this book non-stop.
The Clinic (Alex Delaware, #11)
by Jonathan Kellerman, John Rubinstein
I really tried to finish this book just to see who did it, but three quarters of the way through I didn’t care any more and gave up. I’ve read previous works by Kellerman and love his characters, but for a murder mystery novel, this one made want to fluff my pillow instead of turning the page.
There was way too much fluff…useless descriptions of everyone, hypothesizing between characters, and painfully dull dialog.
If you’re looking for a good read to help you sleep, The Clinic is for you.
The New Centurions
by Joseph Wambaugh (Goodreads Author)
I first read this book back in the late seventies, when I was a rookie cop. Wambaugh’s books and movie were all the rage way back then. The New Centurions was his first book, which he wrote while he still worked as a Los Angeles Police Detective. Wambaugh pioneered the crime fiction genre, taking readers where they’d never been before, inside the police car, to learn about the men and women behind the badge.
We see how the job affects cops as opposed to how they affect their job. The New Centurions in this story are three new recruits. The story follows them from the police academy to the streets of L.A. in 1960, where they learn the hard realities about life on the street.
I found the prose a bit mundane about half way through the book, but that is how police work is most of the time…95% boring and the other 5% running around with your hair on fire. This story takes you to the dark side when one of the cops gets shot, and later, during the race riots.
If you want the real story on what lies behind the badge, this book is a must read. The forward was done my Michael Connelly.
On a personal note, Joseph Wambaugh was my inspiration, and has given me some personal advice for my own writing.